5 Tips to Care for your Prints
You've just purchased some new prints and can't wait to display them. But wait! Before you even think about what frame to get or where to put your prints there are some important things to note. Here we'll share our top tips for keeping your prints in tip top condition.
Firstly, you should know the 5 main factors that will dictate the longevity of your art prints, which are:
- Exposure to bright light
- Exposure to heat
- Exposure to moisture through humidity and condensation
- Atmospheric pollutants such as grease and dust
- Display and storage conditions
Now that you know the main causes of degradation, how do you prolong the life of your prints? The following is recommended:
- Keep out of direct sunlight and away from direct light sources
- Avoid areas which are prone to temperature fluctuations, such as radiators, attics and next to outside walls
- Avoid areas with high moisture, humidity or condensations
- Display prints in a frame with a glass or acrylic window which has UV blocking properties. This will not only help to reduce UV exposure, which causes discolouration and fading, but will also help to protect against atmospheric pollutants such as grease and dust
- Use acid-free mats and backing boards for framing and storage because acid speeds up deterioration
We hope this guide helps keep your art prints looking better for longer, so you can love them for many moons to come.